Monday, January 12, 2009

Cross Country Falling

One day, the week after we hiked Kaaterskill High Peak (it is hard to keep the days straight when you are technically on vacation), Roger took me cross country skiing for the first time. I was a little apprehensive, since the last time I was on skis at a young age, I ended up running into people and off the side of the mountain at Camelback, PA. We had a nice breakfast/lunch from the Mountain Bistro Store, which is located on Route 44 55 in Gardiner. We then headed into town to get some gear from Rock and Snow, then we were off towards the Mohonk Preserve. It took a little bit to get used to the feel of the skis (not crossing them and falling on my face), but soon I got into a groove. It was a pretty crowded day, and we passed many people, including some younger kids on a ski team practicing. We did a loop that went around the base of the Mohonk tower. It was a quick trip, but I felt great afterward nonetheless. The next day I could really feel the burn in my thighs. It was a really great workout.

Checking out the view

Hello handsome

All smiles

I found out that the sound of Roger "encouraging" me from behind
made me lose my concentration, and balance.

"Oh no baby, I'm not taking any pictures of you falling down"

I'm a trooper

Right after someone went face first into a snow bank

Happy at the end of the day

1 comment: